Monday, September 11, 2023

Updated Terminal Setup

 I used to think I knew what I was doing. I thought using Fish as my Terminal was the right choice because people said it was "Mac-like" or whatever. For what I do day-to-day doesn't matter that much so it really just adds complexity because nobody gives examples in for Fish really at all and it means I have to build things myself. So I'm switching to Zsh.

  • Install iTerm. I haven't found any reason to try anything else. Download it from their website. That's how they want you to consume it.
  • It already comes defaulting to Zsh so you shouldn't have to do anything. Use " > echo $0 " to confirm the shell you are using.
  • Install Homebrew so you can get all the good linux things you need. Copy/paste the curl command and let it ride. Trust the systems.
  • You need Git because everything else uses it so get it early. " > brew install git " and celebrate.
  • Install Oh My Zsh by copy/pasting the curl command.
  • Download and install the Hack Nerd Font from Nerd Fonts. There isn't an easy way to get this from Homebrew yet so sticking to direct downloads is the most reliable. Installing 
  • Edit the iTerm Profile so it uses the new Font. Bump the size up to 14. Set the color scheme to "Smoooooth".
  • Update your ~/.zshrc file to use the clean Zsh theme.
I think that's it. My terminal is ready to rock and roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment